About My University
Government College University, Faisalabad (GCUF) has emerged as a leading center for learning and research in a short span of time. The University with its dynamic faculty and innovative syllabi has become a catalyst for intellectuals, social and industrial changes. It caters to the diverse needs of society by imparting education in almost all the major fields of learning.
GC University, Faisalabad has a long history of excellence and distinction as an institution. Renowned scholars and intellectual personalities have served this institution in various capacities at different stages of its history in every field. It has produced outstanding personnel who have earned great fame not only for themselves but also for the nation.
This university has been securing HEC ranking consistently at number 7 for last two years in all aspects mainly including management, faculty performance, enrollment and research projects. This year GC University was ahead of all universities in number of projects accomplished. HEC granted about 45 projects to GCUF. This institute is striving hard to outperform in every major field of studies among all other well-organized institutes.
About Department of Bioinformatics and Biotechnology (BNB)
As I, myself a student of Biotechnology, can relate my department’s progress. I’d describe it in a productive and authentic way to inform anyone who is seeking admission in this department. This department is playing a leading role in the progress of GCUF. Our department “Bioinformatics and Biotechnology’’ (BNB) has become front-line in applied science disciplines of the twenty-first century. The Government College University, Faisalabad is among the few institutions in the country offering degree programs in these emerging fields of science.
BNB provides interdisciplinary learning and training that builds bridges across different disciplines and seamlessly integrates computational methodologies into biological education on the following lines:
- A broad understanding of the molecular processes of life.
- Understanding of the tools used for mapping and sequencing genes.
- Training regarding DNA and protein sequence and structural analysis, gene expression and proteomics analysis, data mining.
- Skill development and training of basic techniques being utilized in the modern scientific world.
Research Interest in Department
With all above, BNB department has many renowned scholars who are the major spark for these achievements. Majority of faculty has HEC accredited Ph.Ds. Supervisors are working on different projects relating to medical, agricultural, animal, microbial and industrial research. One of our permanent professors is also visiting 4 other universities of China as a ‘visiting professor’. He is also the ‘Director’ at HEC Projects Research Committee of GCUF.
There are 4 research labs in BNB depart i.e. Industrial Biotech lab, Health Biotech lab, Plant Biotech lab and Dry lab for Bioinformatics. There are many MS and Ph.D students working on their projects under the supervision of the able professors.
In Industrial lab, researches are being carried out on “Advanced Biofuels, Metabolic Pathway Engineering, Enzyme Biotechnology, Mycotoxins” by scholars. In ‘Health lab’ “Human Molecular Genetics, Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine, Kidney cells” and in ‘Plant lab’ these “Transcriptional Regulation, Abiotic Stress, Plant Virology, Plant-Microbe Interaction” researches are under consideration by respective professors.
Personal Experience in Lab
My personal experience with Biotech lab starts from the day I was enrolled in the university. But our hands on experience started from the 3rd semester and going onward, where we were taught about our specific course relevant experiments. We have learnt so far:
- Preparing media, the growth of microbe on it, identifications of these cultures, isolation, counting, staining of bacteria’ etc. Also proper use of apparatus.
- Further, in the dry lab, we got an open opportunity where we learned about Databases and Tools of Bioinformatics. We were taught how to get access to many types of Database i.e. for protein or DNA. Furthermore, we learnt to operate a lot of Bioinfo tools there.
- Recently we are engaged in Industrial and Health lab. We extracted DNA. The solutions used for this technique were self-prepared. PCR a revolutionary technique, we operated it also for amplification of our DNA sample but we were only allowed to observe it. The staff in the lab is very motivational and cooperative and help us in our day to day tasks.